Location: Houses of Parliament
Hours: Monday – Friday / 32 hours per week
Salary: £6.50 per hour
This 12 month apprenticeship scheme combines ‘on the job’ training, working for an MP in their office, with a formal qualification in Business & Administration.
Successful candidates will work in an office assistant role. Once a fortnight you will take part in workshops and carry out your study towards an NVQ Level 3 Business & Administration qualification.
To play an important support role within the MP’s parliamentary office. Completing a course of study and obtaining work related professional qualifications. We are looking for Parliamentary Apprentices with a keen interest in politics and a can-do attitude.
Roles & responsibilities:
• Answering telephone calls and dealing with routine enquiries
• Opening and distributing mail
• Creating and maintaining information on systems and databases
• General administrative duties including typing, filing, emailing and photocopying
• Conducting research on a wide range of issues
• Assisting with the preparation of briefings and press releases as required
• Arranging tours in the Houses of Parliament for constituents
• Responding to basic constituent queries and campaign letters
• Assisting with any local campaigns as required
Required abilities and experience:
• Understand the office’s objectives and targets
• Ability to work to tight deadlines and multi-task
• Excellent attention to detail, spelling and grammar with a high level of accuracy
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
• Must have strong initiative, excellent organisational skills and a strong work ethic. Must be flexible, have a good sense of humour and able to work in a small team as well as independently
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Office, email and internet
• GCSE Maths and English at grade A*-C (GCSE certificates will be required)
• Previous experience in an administrator role is desirable but not necessary
• GCSE ICT at A*-C desirable but not necessary.
NB – candidates with a degree/level 4 qualification are NOT eligible for this position.
Closing Date: 16/09/2014
Interview Date: Week beginning 22/09/2014
Start date: 29th September
How to apply:
Please email a CV and covering letter to Simon Bunney at email@example.com. In your covering letter please answer the following questions:
- What are your strengths? (e.g. team working, organising etc.)
- Why are you a good addition to an MP’s office?
- What sort of issues do you think people write into their MPs about?
- Is there anything we can do to help you at an interview? (eg do you need a signer, information in Braille etc)
- What are your interests and achievements?
- What interests you about working for an MP? (maximum 250 words)
- What are your future career aspirations? (maximum 250 words)
If you have any questions about the role please contact Simon Bunney on 020 7845 5835.