Salary: £6.50 National Minimum Wage / 30 hours per week
This 12 month apprenticeship scheme combines ‘on the job’ training, working for an MP in their office, with a formal qualification in Business & Administration.
Successful candidates will work in an office admin assistant role. Once a fortnight you will take part in workshops and carry out your study towards an NVQ Level 3 Business & Administration qualification.
To play an important support role within the MP’s parliamentary office. Completing a course of study and obtaining work related professional qualifications. We are looking for a Parliamentary Apprentice who wants to learn to be a great personal assistant and has a can-do-attitude.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Answering telephone calls and dealing with routine enquiries
- Opening and distributing mail
- Creating and maintaining information on systems and databases
- General administrative duties including typing, filing, emailing and photocopying
- Answering MP invitations
- Organising meetings
- Organising responses to campaign letters
- Helping manage MP’s diary
- Assisting with arrangements for events
- Responding to enquiries by telephone and email
- Arranging Houses of Parliament tours
- Arrange public gallery tickets
- Additional projects as required
Required abilities and experience:
- Understand the office’s objectives and targets
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and multi-task
- Excellent attention to detail, spelling and grammar with a high level of accuracy
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Must have strong initiative and excellent organisational skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office, email and internet
- GCSE Maths and English at grade A*-C (GCSE certificates will be required)
- GCSE ICT at A*-C desirable but not necessary.
NB – candidates with a degree/level 4 qualification are NOT eligible for this position.
Closing Date: 31/07/2015
First round interview: Week beginning 10/08/2015
Second round interview: Week beginning 17/08/2015
Start Date: 24/08/2015
How to apply:
Please email a CV and covering letter to Simon Bunney at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your covering letter please answer the following questions:
- What are your strengths? (eg Team working, organising etc)
- Why are you a good addition to an MP’s office?
- What are your organisational skills?
- Is there anything we can do to help you at an interview? (eg do you need a signer, information in Braille etc)
- What are your interests and achievements?
- What interests you about working for an MP? (maximum 250 words)
- What are your future career aspirations? (maximum 250 words)
If you have any questions about the role please contact Simon Bunney on 020 7845 5835.